Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ongoing Exploration: Volume


As our exploration of volume has progressed this semester, I wanted to develop the idea of estimation with the children. I planned an activity where the children estimated how many bear counters they would need to fill an object.

 
“I think 10” –Seena’s estimation for how many bears it would take to fill the cup.


 

“Almost [full]…maybe 15 more bears.” –Zane


 
However, in this activity as well as previous activities had varying ideas of what it means to be full.

 
Children would either leave space in the object that they were filling and say that it was full, or they would over fill their objects to the point of being overflowing. This led me to focus the exploration on developing a clear idea of what it means for something to be full.


“It’s full!” – Danny


“I’m filling it.” – Adelyn
 
In this activity the children filled zip lock bags with cotton balls. With this I wanted to give the children a clear boundary for what was full (zipping the bag closed). While I’m not entirely sure that the children have developed a clear sense of what it means to be full, I know they are heading in the right direction. In the future I plan to extend these ideas by comparing tall, thin containers and shallow, wide containers that hold similar amounts.